Jesus said that whenever you visit someone in prison, you visit Him (Mt. 25:36).
Over 2.2. million people are incarcerated in the United States alone. Augustinians serve in prisons and jails throughout North America, offering the Sacraments, spiritual direction, counseling, classes, Bible studies, and more than anything a friendly presence to those who would otherwise be abandoned.
See below for a list of locations where Augustinians are currently serving.
- Provide in-jail visits, Bible studies, and prayer services.
- Letter writing to those who are incarcerated.
- Provides re-entry services to help those who are released from prison or jail obtain a fair second chance.
SCI Chester Prison (Chester, PA)
- Offers the Sacraments, spiritual direction, and Mass on Sundays and other major holidays throughout the year.
SCI Phoenix Prison (Collegeville, PA)
Offers a degree granting program to inmates through Villanova University.
Villanova University (Villanova, PA)
- Annual Day of Service where over 5,000 people come together to perform service throughout the Philadelphia area.
- Students are invited during the fall and spring semester to participate in a Service and Justice experience involving a number of domestic and international service experiences.
- Provides one of the oldest prison degree-granting programs in the United States.